Friday, October 2, 2009

Who's got it better?

Approaching strangers isn’t for everybody, and from what I’ve noticed, it’s especially hard for men. This subject is a touchy issue because all men will say that it is much easier for girls to approach strangers and get them to open up because girls have sex appeal, but all girls deny this and say it is based solely on their personality. This may be true, but even the shyest, most shut in girls are able to probe information out of unsuspecting strangers.

On Saturday, September 26th, I attended a football game with my entire class and on the following Monday, we discussed our experiences. One male brought up the fact that girls had it way easier because they just be nice to some stranger and instantly, that stranger, if it’s a man, believes that the girl is flirting with him. He then said that all they have to do is hit on him just a little bit and they can get anything. Even if the girl is not trying to be flirtatious whatsoever, most men will still think that he is being approached because he is good looking and must be a really cool guy.

Instantly, every girl in my class had an opinion. Each one disagreed and said that it was just their social skills and their confidence that aided them in the process. Most girls truly are just much more sociable and have no problem going up to a stranger and striking up a conversation. But are they unconsciously flirting with this guy? Are their conversation skills based around flirting? Who knows. The answers will vary between every single woman. Each person has a different personality and the situation will not always be the same.

3 comments:

  1. arg, sometimes despite being able to get people to talk to us it's hard to be taken seriously by a lot of men! there are just 100 different things that happen to guys and girls to compare and come up with any sort of answers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should re-phrase this article a little bit Jordan

    "All girls deny this and say it is based solely on their personality." I don't think anyone said that. I think we just didn't wan't it to be generalized. It takes away from the strength of our Blue Bombers assignment if its just because we're "Hot".

    Sex appeal may help a girl get an interview with some young heterosexual males, but that doesn't explain the great interviews I got with almost every women I asked. Friendliness and aproachability is how I get a great interview not sex appeal.

    You did raise some great points though and I agree that flirting could be inferred with out realizing it. High five for being brave enough to blog about the issue! Its a difficult topic to discuss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was in a bind doing the Streeter for The Uniter (going around getting random peoples' opinions), a couple times I definitely convinced a guy to help me out by flashing a flirty "please? for me?" smile. I was quite impressed that I actually had this power. But it only works on a select few-- you have to read your audience. You can't count on it, and it's not the norm. And by the way, I'm SURE some cute male journalists could have the same effect on lonely young women, if they tried it.

    ReplyDelete