Friday, October 23, 2009

Expired foods: A very touchy subject

Recently, I brought a delightful lunch to school. It was leftover macaroni and cheese that I made some time late last week. Is it wrong that I wanted to eat the food I already made? It had been taking up space in the fridge and sadly, I just never noticed it. So finally today it caught my eye and I was excited.

In macaroni and cheese there is the noodles themselves which never really go bad, the cheese sauce powder, which they provide ( I assume it’s made to last), milk, and butter. So out of the four ingredients(excluding those of the cheese powder), only milk and cheese can go bad. I assumed that if the milk and butter mixed with the preservatives of the cheese powder, then the milk and butter will have preservatives and they’ll last forever. Well, not forever, but much longer than usual.

So, with that in mind, I heated up the mac and cheese and was about to put the first bite into my mouth, “Stop!” Glenda instantly brought me to a halt and questioned my reasoning. “I’m hungry and this stuff is good.” She kept on with the argument that any dairy product will go bad quickly and stay bad. I reluctantly gave into her side of the argument and bought an overly expensive sandwich from Tim Horton’s.

The reasoning behind my wanting to eat the old macaroni and cheese you ask? I was raised to never waste food. “Can’t leave till you finish your plate,” was my fathers motto. The fridge at home was never re-stocked until everything in it was finished. Just last week I had to throw out an entire casserole dish full of hamburger helper. It had been in the fridge for about two weeks so I made the decision to get rid of it. I shed tears as I scraped it into the garbage bin. My girlfriend, on the other hand, has no trouble with it whatsoever. She can throw out food at the drop of a hat.

I consider myself very lucky to even have food so why waste it?

7 comments:

  1. love it and thats a great outlook, to not waste. You love your macaroni, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, well, we don't want to waste YOU, either.

    Thank you Glenda for making him buy the sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gross. I stick to expiry dates. As for leftovers, there are some things that keep well and others don't. You're like my dad though - will eat anything no matter how long it's been in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I end up buying things that go bad quickly, like a lot of lettuce.

    I hate throwing things out too, because I was also raised with the "finish your plate" motto. It sucks. I think that whole motto contributes to the obesity epidemic amongst children. Let us finish it later, mom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm laughing so hard right now at Melanie's comment. We don't wanna waste YOU! Hahahaha!

    What I found hilarious is how adamant you were at eating it! You had already ordered and paid for your food at Tim's and you were still defending the mac and cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What can I say, I hate wasting food. And I might have gone back to the garbage and ate all that mac and cheese... haha just kidding

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel the same about wasting, which means I end up eating a LOT of food that I don't actually want to eat. My boyfriend's family teases me about my huge appetite, but they don't realize that I'm eating half that stuff out of guilt. Not good!

    But I don't eat stuff with fuzz on it. And I will never ever drink milk past expiry dates because milk is so disgusting even when fresh.

    ReplyDelete